Smoke alarms are required as follows:
- One smoke alarm on every habitable level of the residence.
- In the basement.
- One smoke alarm on the ceiling at the base of each stairway.
- One smoke alarm on the ceiling outside of each separate sleeping area. (Within 10 feet)
- A minimum of one smoke alarm must be installed for every 1,200 square feet of living space per level.
- Must be Photoelectric type detectors
- Cannot be older than 10 years old
- – Must be hardwired interconnected smoke alarms.
Carbon Monoxide alarms are required as follows:
Since March 31, 2006, carbon monoxide alarms have been required in all residences that have either: fossil fuel burning equipment or an attached enclosed garage. This law applied to all such residences whether or not the residence is being sold or transferred.
- On every level of the residence, including habitable portions of basements and attics
Combination alarms (photoelectric smoke and carbon monoxide alarm) may be used anywhere but must have voice activation.
- Must be located within 10 feet of each bedroom door.
- May be either: battery powered, plug-in with battery backup, hardwired with battery backup, or system type.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement.
To Schedule a Smoke Detector Inspection:
Call Hanson Fire Headquarters the day you want the inspection done around 8am: (781)293-9571 to schedule a time that day. (We do not preschedule smoke detector inspections)
For more info on Scheduling/Requirements/Fees please click here to return to the previous page.