Smoke alarms are required as follows:
- Minimum of One smoke alarm on every habitable level of the residence.
-Including the basement
- One smoke alarm at the base of each stairway.
- One smoke alarm outside of each separate sleeping area. (Within 10 feet)
- One smoke alarm inside every bedroom.
- A minimum of one smoke alarm must be installed for every 1,200 square feet of living space per level.
- Must be hardwired and interconnected smoke alarms with battery backup.
- Must be Photoelectric type detector.
- Cannot be older than 10 years old.
Carbon monoxide alarms are required as follows:
Since March 31, 2006, carbon monoxide alarms have been required in all residences that have either: fossil fuel burning equipment or an attached enclosed garage. This law applied to all such residences whether or not the residence is being sold or transferred.
- On every level of the residence, including habitable portions of basements and attics.
- Must be within 10 feet of every bedroom
- Combination alarms (photoelectric smoke and carbon monoxide alarm) may be used anywhere but must have voice activation.
- May be either: battery powered, plug-in with battery backup, hardwired with battery backup, or system type.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement.
To Schedule a Smoke Detector Inspection:
Call Hanson Fire Headquarters the day you want the inspection done around 8am: (781)293-9571 to schedule a time that day. (We do not preschedule smoke detector inspections)
For more info on Scheduling/Requirements/Fees please click here to return to the previous page.